Sunday, March 24, 2013

Where do I even start...


Well, I'm officially terrible at blogging!  I really want to do better though so I can have some memories recorded for posterity.  So here's to hopefully more regular blogging!

Obviously LOTS has changed since the last time I posted.  I think instead of trying to backtrack almost a year, I'll just start with this month and Maisie's birthday.  And maybe if I really get to regular blogging I'll try to catch up some.  We'll see... I don't want to get too ambitious!

Maisie turned one on the 3rd and we had a party with some friends on the 2nd and then celebrated with Maisie's biological family on her actual birthday.  The theme was "Maisie in Onederland" and really I just went more for a tea party theme.  I had fun decorating and planning out the big celebration.  We had several friends over and ate and let the kids play.  Maisie wanted nothing to do with her cake, we thought maybe it was because she was too full from lunch, but no.  We tried to give her cake before lunch the following day at party #2 and still she wanted nothing to do with her cake.  I've since learned she's not a big sweets person (definitely more like her daddy in this regard).

--Side story: Did you know at Target the bakery will give your child a free small chocolate chip cookie?  I thought that I would get one for Maisie to distract her from the shopping.  Well she ate about 2 small bites and then wanted nothing more to do with the cookie.  I wasn't complaining though... I guess now I can get a cookie for my child aka a cookie for myself!  Later I passed through the produce section and they had strawberries to sample, she could have eaten every single one!  If only I hated cookies.

Overall the party went well and she seemed to have fun.  It was a very lucky day because she took a good morning nap and was super happy for her party!

My little girl at 1:

She loves:
 - Her daddy, oh does she love her daddy.  She quietly whispers, "dadada..." all day long!
 - Books - she can look at books on her own for probably 30 minutes.
 - Bananas, beets, bread, peas, canned chicken... a strange assortment.  I promise I feed her lots of
    things, but these are the things you know she is going to eat without a doubt!
 - Bath time with daddy, when she hears the water running she has to run crawl in and pull up to the tub
    and start screaming for joy.
 - Opening and closing doors, cabinets, the baby gate (no, she can't latch it, she just likes to crawl up the    
    stairs and then push it shut.)
 - Being chased by mommy or daddy
 - Playing peek-a-boo. She absolutely loves to squat down and hide behind the coffee table and then
    pop up!
 - Music, she currently loves "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes"
 - Talking on ichat
 - Talking/babbling - while she plays she is continuously talking to herself and even cracks herself up!
 - The cats, although the feeling is not mutual...
 - Paige. Especially her eyes.  Poor Paige.
 - TV.  She would be a couch potato if it was up to her, but she has watched very little television until
    recently (throw up, ear infection, croup...)
 - The fireplace.  I wish there weren't so many times that I've had to pull her out of it...  Look at the
    pictures below to understand how accessible it is to a baby.  Please don't report me to CPS, it's never
    had a fire in it!

She's not so fond of:
 - Medicine
 - Sweets (refer to stories above)
 - Green beans
 - Eggs (some days she tolerates them and other days she wants nothing to do with them!)
 - Squishy textures - she seems to be picky about food and textures... and you know those squishy
    balls? It took her a long time to even hold it longer than 1 second, she would just drop it!
 - Having her diaper changed.  It's like wrestling a crocodile in their death roll.  Nearly impossible some
    days.

Words she has said (but most she has only said a few times)
 - Dada, Dad - her favorite word to say and the only one she really says consistently
 - Mama
 - Cat
 - Car
 - Uh oh
 - Truck
 - Eye
 - Head
 - Hand
 - Go

Overall she is such a sweet, good natured, mild tempered, well behaved little girl.  She's been a dream child and we love her so much!

A quick rundown of details that may bore you, but so that I remember...

Food:
1. Chicken salad sandwiches on croissants
2. Veggie tray with dip
3. Maisie's favorite fruits - bananas, clementines, and strawberries
4. Cupcakes with laffy taffy frosting

And now for the pictures, sadly most are of the decorations (they took a long time to make!) and then I was busy hosting a party!

Our Maisie in Onederland sign - this is what happens when you decorate at 11PM...

The 1 year banner and Mad Hatter hats

The Mad Hatter Picture Booth

The 1 year banner

The dining room

The spread

Friends

Birthday girl waving
I had a cute video, but it won't upload.  I'll have to put it on youtube and then put a link later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! Love that little girl! Wish we could have come to her party : (

ESRBKS said...

More updates please! It's nice to feel like we're connected, even though we are so far apart. Give both little cuties big hugs for me!

Bruce said...

yaya! so happy to see an update here! cannot believe that you already have a ONE year old. time flies when you're having fun! cute party, darling girlie! excited for more posts. hope you are well!:)

Bruce and Liss said...

sorry....i was signed in as 'bruce.' but is was me. love you. -liss