Thursday, October 6, 2011

Meet Jack


No, Jack is not our baby...


Jack is a sweet kitten we found last Friday night.  Matt and I were driving home late from Dan and Laura's when we pulled into our parking lot and I spotted a small kitten under a car.  I immediately asked Matt to stop the car and jumped out to see if I could catch him.  He was super fast and all I could hear were his pitiful meows.  I tried to follow him, but lost him and hopped back into the car with Matt.  We parked and came inside.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep because I would be worried about the poor kitten outside in the cold all by himself, so I decided that the only way I would be able to sleep is if I tried one more time to find him.  I grabbed a towel and some cat food and headed out.  Luckily Matt was smart and handed me a flashlight as well.  I began searching for him and then heard the little meows again.  I followed them and found him, but as soon as he would see me he would dash away.  Two guys came up to me with a flashlight as well and asked if I had lost something.  I then explained the situation.  They decided to help and we again followed the meows.  One of the guys heard it come from under a tree and lifted the branch to find the kitten.  However, the kitten bolted before he could grab it.  Both of the guys sprinted after the kitten and were able to head him off so that he came running back towards me.  I threw the towel on him and caught him!  The poor thing was covered in big stickers (at least 40) and he was tiny.  I think Matt was shocked that I actually caught the kitten.  We put him in the bathroom and began pulling all the stickers, twigs, etc. off of him.  We then gave him some water and soaked hard cat food in water to make it soft and gave him some of that.  He never once tried to bite us, but just purred and purred.  We kept him in the bathroom and decided to call the humane society the next morning.

We called the humane society and discovered there's a fee to drop animals off, so we decided to just take him to our vet and get him checked out.  He had ear mites, worms, and a few blisters on his pads, but other than that he was healthy.  We were able to get his ears cleaned, get medicine for the ear mites and worms, and the vet said that his pads would heal on their own.  He got his name Jack after Jack Johnson and his song Bubble Toes.  We have completely fallen in love with Jack, but are still trying to find him a good home.

He loves to sleep on your lap, cuddle up in your neck, play, and eat.



No comments: