Sunday, September 18, 2011

Joy


My parents just sent me a talk (think sermon, but actual members of the ward/congregation stand at the pulpit and deliver a message on a particular subject/topic).  It was given by a lady in their ward on the topic of joy.  It got me thinking about joy in my own life.  I like how she talked about how joy is a choice and how no one will force us to find or feel joy, but instead it is up to us.  I want to make a better effort to actively seek for joy and to not just wait around for it to find me.  I know that by seeking for the joy in my life and doing things that bring me joy (studying the scriptures, praying, being kind to others, etc) I will feel joy more fully and also gain a greater appreciation for all I have.

I feel that sometimes I am waiting on something before I really feel a fullness of joy - waiting for a baby to enter our home, waiting until we have our own house, waiting until I can be a stay-at-home mother, and so on.  I don't want to wait anymore.  I want to feel that fullness of joy now and I can.  I don't have to be a mother, to own a home, to have the job I really want, to have my "perfect life" before I can experience the fulness of joy that she talks about.  Here is a quote from her talk:


"John 15:11, Jesus tells us that if we abide in his love by keeping the commandments, his joy might remain in us and our 'joy might be full.'  Again, that conditional word 'might.'  It implies that we have a choice: our joy can be full, but only if we keep God's commandments and continue in faith to seek what is virtuous and lovely."


I know that we can feel joy even when life isn't going perfectly.  Even when life gets hard or seems impossible we can still feel joy.  I don't mean that we should be fake and act as though life is perfect.  Sadness accompanies this life, but even in those dark moments I know there can be joy because of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I think that joy and peace are close companions.  When we feel true joy we often feel at peace.

I wish I could say what I want to say as eloquently as she did in her talk.  Hopefully this makes a little sense.  Here's a list of things that bring me joy:

My husband




My Family 



The Gospel - the knowledge that I have a loving Father in Heaven that will comfort us in times of need, listen to us, and answer our prayers.  The knowledge that I have of the Plan of Salvation and that I can live with my Father in Heaven again as well as Chase and Libby.





My Cats - sounds weird, but when I'm sad they seriously bring me joy


The Outdoors (all places we have been and took pictures of)
Sunrise on the top of a volcano in Hawaii
Hawaii sunset
Canobie Lake in NH
Wisconsin
Palmyra, NY
This list will suffice for now.

No comments: